Monday, July 19, 2010

Yard Signs Don't Vote in the Missouri 97th

One used to be able to predict elections on the number of yards signs each candidate had in their areas. With better targeted mailings, cheaper cable advertising and telecommunications, those predictions are practically meaningless. Having written all that, it's interesting to watch our local state representive race here in the Missouri 97th.
On the Republican side, it looks like there will be an upset. Chris Brown appears to have more signs outside the district than he does inside. I'm guessing he was counting on more support from the party regulars and they are staying neutral. Retired FBI agent Gary Fuhr appears to be spending the most money as he not only has signs but has a couple of billboards on I-55. The guy that seems to be working the hardest is Bill Zobrist. He's got signs all over my area of the 97th. I'm predicting he'll be representing the Elephant Party this November.
On the Democratic side, we've got Rudy Pulido. Rudy is a retired Baptist minister and appears to be one heck of a nice guy. His signs aren't as numerous and I think that reflects his newness to elective politics. Jan Polizzi. Jan has held this seat before and was a director on the Mehlville School Board as well. She was out early with signs.
Jim Barrett has numerous signs out and the locations and messages I have suggest he has the support of most organizations typically associated with the Democratic Party.
He will represent the party of the Donkey this fall.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Im voting for anyone but Chris Brown I like both Fuhr and Zobrist Conversations with both have led me to belive they are both worthy of this seat. All 3 Democratric candidates are good well meaning people. But I do belive Barrett will be the Runner. Im thinking Fuhr Barret face off in November Isnt it great to be an independent.

dsm said...

I've posted a few videos from a GOP candidate forum in May. The names of the videos at that YouTube link for the GOP candidates in the 97th start with: "## MO97" where ## is a two digit number. I also have intro statements from each of them--just scroll down the list on the right.

Anonymous said...

I would vote for a convict before I would vote for a IDIOT Republican. They are all like Bill Webster.

SouthCountyMike said...

Nah, the're not like Billy W. and they aren't all idiots either. It is funny listening to each of them try to outconservative one another.